Click on an Image
– or The Twins – is an air sign. People born in Gemini (May 21 – June 20) are seen as being multi-
Astrological signs and meanings have a rich and complicated history that dates back to pre-
– or The Lion – is a fire sign, and representative of those born between July 23 and August 22. The symbol for Leo (a horseshoe shape with the embellished ends of the prong pointing down) in no way looks like the actual constellation Leo, but instead has derived from the “lion” motif that the constellation itself looks like and is seen as representing the mane of the lion.
– or The Scales – is the only sign of the zodiac that is named after an inanimate object. Those born under Libra (between September 23 and October 22) are born under an Air sign and are seen as deeply complex individuals who have an innate sense of justice and “balance” (hence the scales); a balance that they are continually seeking. The sign for Libra is of an upside down horseshoe (with extended prongs facing down) that is lying on top of a straight line. This symbol comes from the constellation itself that does indeed look like a pair of old-
– or The Scorpion – symbolically looks very much like that of Libra, except this “M”’s tail is pointing up and out at the end instead of being drawn in on itself. The stylized symbol looks nothing like the actual constellation for which it is named (except for the “stinger” of the tail), but it does a good job of representing those born to this Water sign between October 23 – November 21.
– or The Archer – an Air sign for those born between November 22 and December 21. The constellation for which Sagittarius is named does indeed look like an archer shooting an arrow into the night sky, and the symbol is the “shortened” version of the full constellation, being just the upward pointing arrow notched in a piece of the string.
– or The Water Bearer – is named after a constellation that is rather complex, with the figure of a person pouring water out of a jar and into the night sky. The symbol that has been come to be used to represent Aquarius (an Air sign ruling those born between January 20 and February 18) is simply two zigzag lines on top of each other representing, surprisingly, air.
– or The Fish –is representative of the Water sign governing those who are born between February 19 and March 20. Pisces is another symbol that looks absolutely nothing like its namesake constellation. In fact, it would have taken a vivid imagination to see a fish in the Pisces constellation. The shortened symbol for Pisces, however, looks like two fish connected at the nose.
– or The Ram as it is also known – rules the births from March 21 to April 19. Aires is a fire sign, and those who are born under it are seen as being very strong and independent individuals. The use of horns to symbolize the Ram symbolizes the constellation of Aires whose alignment of stars brings to mind the curled horns of a ram.
– or The Bull – is the representative of those born between April 20 and May 20. Those born under Taurus are seen as grounded individuals; practical, yet with a stubborn streak, just like a bull. The layout of the constellation Taurus is such that you can see the rough circle of the bull’s head and draw a semi-
– or The Goat – is perhaps one of the oddest symbols used to identify Horoscope signs. An Earth sign representing those born between December 22 – January 19, the “V” with a twisted “S” attached to it has been said by some to represent the twisted (and sometimes uneven) horns of a goat. In truth, it is another shortened symbol. The constellation for which Capricorn is named has the head of a goat, its body, and then a twisted “S” of a tail. This shortened symbol is simply taking the head and the tail of the constellation and putting them together.
– or The Virgin – is another sign whose symbol looks nothing like the constellation after which it is named. The constellation itself looks more like a young woman reclining, but is represented by what looks like a stylized “M” with a tail that curls up on itself. Those born in Virgo (August 23 – September 22) are seen as compassionate and caring and who have a great deal of respect for structure and authority.